The BioScience Laboratories Skin Technology Center offers clinical testing services for both personal and professional skin care products. Standard, validated protocols have been developed to substantiate a wide variety of cosmetic and personal care product claims, as well as claims for prescription and over-the-counter drug products. Additionally, protocols can be custom designed to support specific needs and claims. The high elevation and year-round low humidity of Bozeman, Montana provides an excellent environment for specialized skin studies. The testing we offer includes but is not limited to:
- Skin Tone
- Acne Spot Reduction
- Lesion Reduction
- Image Analysis
- Transepidermal Water Loss (Barrier Properties)
- In-Use Studies
The Bioinstrumentation equipment used in the skin lab includes:
- Corneometer: measures moisturization of the stratum corneum layer of the skin using capacitance.
- Skin pH meter: measures skin pH.
- Tewameter: measures the TEWL (Trans-epidermal water loss) rate of the skin. The higher the rate, the more damaged the skin.
- Mexameter: measures redness of the skin.
- Chroma Meter: measures color on three scales: black white, red green, and blue yellow.
- Skicon: measures the moisturization content of the stratum corneum level of the skin using high frequency conductance.
- Sebumeter: measures sebum amounts of the skin or hair.
- Visia CR: It measures spots, wrinkles, and UV damage.
- D-Squame – CuDerm: qualitative measurements of skin condition.