EPA approves Emerging Viral Pathogen Guidance for Antimicrobial Pesticides following coronavirus outbreaks.
Posted On: Jan 29, 2020
The coronavirus outbreak has triggered action by the EPA. They have activated the Emerging Viral Pathogen Guidance for Antimicrobial Pesticides which may allow registrants use of limited additional claims for products efficacy against the pathogen. Companies that register their products using this guidance may be able to make claims about the efficacy of their products in combating the coronavirus. The statement by the EPA is as follows:
After reading the guidance document linked below, registrants and applicants interested in making product claims against emerging viral pathogens should submit a label amendment request with the following items:
- A cover letter that includes:
- a request to make emerging viral pathogen claims;
- a description of how the product meets the eligibility criteria for use against one or more categories of viral pathogens;
- the identification of all viruses from the product label that support the emerging viral pathogen claims;
- a request to add the Terms of Registration outlined in Attachment I of the guidance document below to the product registration.
- A revised master label with a separate section for emerging viral pathogen claims that includes the generic claim statements identified in Attachment I of the guidance document below.
More information on how to be able to make these additional claims can be found here.